(Brighton’s Warp and Weft Magazine - August 25,
Fills A Long Felt Want In the Community . . .Dr.
Harry E. Dawson In Charge
since Shannon became a community some fifteen
years ago has any single improvement met with
more universal approval than has the
establishment of the new medical clinic.
Located at 100 Second Street, it is easily
accessible to all residents of the Village and
it is now possible for many of those who need
medical attention to go to the clinic instead of
having to call the doctor to the house.
clinic is under the personal charge of Dr. Harry
E. Dawson, who came to Shannon early in July,
1941, from the Aiken County Hospital at Aiken,
South Carolina. Temporarily, Dr. Dawson is
being very ably assisted by Mrs. Dawson, who is
a Registered Nurse. Dr. Dawson has already
established an enviable reputation in our
community thru the very skillful work he has
done, and it becomes increasingly evident that
we are extremely fortunate in being able to
afford the services of a doctor with the skill
and experience of Dr. Dawson.
building which houses the clinic has been
completely renovated, both inside and outside.
The reception room has been newly and
attractively furnished for the comfort of
patients who must wait their turn. Immediately
adjoining the reception room is the examining
room, off of which is a completely equipped
laboratory. Two bedrooms are available for the
use of patients who may require emergency
Space is also available for a Dental Clinic, for
which plans are already being made.
time to time it is planned to add additional
equipment of the latest and most modern type.
This will be done as the need for it develops.
is also planned to add a Registered Nurse to the
medical staff in the very near future. The
duties of the nurse will be confined largely to
visiting the sick in the community and offering
assistance in any case where her services are
needed. This will be of great benefit in
numerous instances and it will be a service
which will be welcomed by all in our community.
During the fifteen years that have elapsed since
the Village of Shannon was established, an
excellent health record has been maintained.
There have been no epidemics of a serious
nature. Those that have occurred have been
those peculiar to children which have been mild
and easily brought under control.
Officials of Southern Brighton have always
striven to make available for its employees all
things necessary for the health of the community
as a whole and for each individual. They
realize that health is a priceless possession
and that once lost is sometimes never regained.
That realization is the basis for the utmost
care that is taken to prevent illness among our
Chief among the precautions taken, in addition
to the maintenance of adequate medical care, is
the provision of a pure water supply. Also a
modern system of sewage and garbage disposal
which functions most efficiently.
small part of our health rating can be
attributed to the cleanliness found throughout
the Village, from the individual houses to the
mill proper. Due credit should be given the
residents of Shannon for their vigilance in
keeping their premises attractive, lean, and
free from contaminating refuse.
Thus, you see, the clinic is only an additional
step in the ceaseless care take to maintain the
enviable health record of our community.
Medical Clinic - 1941
Vanita Tate, R.N. - 1941
Dr. Dawson and Mrs.
Dawson - 1941